Public transportation has a significant impact on people’s lives. It allows individuals to travel from one place to another. This makes it easier for them to gain access to employment, education, food, leisure, and other things essential for raising their quality of life.
This is why it’s incredibly crucial that people get excellent services from public transport operators. If public vehicle operators can provide safe and convenient transportation services, people can avoid feeling constantly stressed when commuting. Aside from this, they can avoid scenarios that may affect their health and overall well-being.
Highlighting Singapore’s Efforts in Improving Public Transportation
Countries in different parts of the world have various problems with their public transportation services. Government agencies and private sectors managing public vehicles are constantly receiving rants and criticisms from daily commuters. This especially happens when public transportation operators don’t fix problem areas in their organizations.
Good thing, in Singapore, SMRT Corporation Ltd. continuously strives to improve its public transportation services. They are focusing their efforts on ensuring that their services will provide huge benefits for people, especially public commuters.
SMRT Chairman Seah Moon Ming even decided to let go of his position as a CEO of an oil and gas company to focus on managing SMRT Corporation Ltd. This only shows that he wants to ensure that SMRT can provide convenience and satisfaction to millions of passengers in the country. With this mindset, public transport operators can help people enjoy their daily commutes.
Excellent Factors that Bring Satisfaction to Public Commuters
Fixing problems in public transportation services may seem difficult. However, as long as operators know where to place their focus, they can provide better services to commuters. Here are some of the common factors that significantly impact commuters’ satisfaction with public transportation services:
- Waiting time—People often start their day with a daily schedule in mind. This means their routine is usually built to ensure they can accomplish all their tasks within the day. This includes waiting for public transport vehicles to take them to their destination. If the waiting time is too long, they often end up having to make considerable adjustments to their schedule. Sometimes, they even end up crossing out some activities on their to-do list because they can’t do it anymore because of the delayed arrival of public transportation. However, if the vehicles arrive on time, commuters don’t have to change their schedules. Also, they can avoid feeling stressed and irritable because the situation remains favorable to them.
- Accessibility—Another critical factor that helps improve commuters’ lives is when public transportation is accessible. This means, regardless of the location, people expect that public vehicles can give them a ride. If not, they still need to spend a lot of time looking for loading bays, stations, or terminals. However, if public transportation services can be easily accessed anywhere, people won’t need to exhaust themselves in looking for available vehicles to ride.
- Travel time—It’s also important that public transportation can reduce the travel time consumed by commuters. Most of the time, people prefer to avoid getting caught up in heavy traffic situations because this may extend their travel time. Thus, it would be excellent if they have multiple options for transportation. If they don’t want to take a taxi or a bus, they can try the Mass Rapid Transportation (MRT) service.
- Safety and security—Commuters are also concerned about their safety and security. While they are on the road, they sometimes worry about accidents and other untoward events. Thus, it’s a huge deal for them if public transportation operators can ensure that their vehicles are safe and secured. It also helps if drivers or operators are professionally trained to minimize risks of accidents and other unfortunate events. For instance, they can conduct regular vehicle repair and maintenance tasks. This way, they can expect that the vehicle will run smoothly without any issues.
- Customer service—Some commuters, especially those not familiar with certain areas, need help with learning the best ways to commute. Sometimes, they expect operators to assist them in successfully going from one place to another. Thus, public transportation service providers also need to provide excellent customer services. This way, people won’t feel confused or lost whenever they need commuting information and assistance.
If public transportation service operators continue to provide excellent services, more and more commuters will be satisfied with their performance. With this, they can help build a better community where people will no longer need to feel constantly stressed and anxious whenever they need to commute. Instead, they can continue looking forward to their daily commutes, expecting that they can enjoy another day of traveling to places.