Risotto is a rice dish
Risotto is a dish from northern Italy where the rice is cooked in broth. The word risotto comes from the Lombard (regional language of Lombardy) and resembles the Italian word riso which means rice. Making risotto consists of 5 steps:
- Soffrito: Smothering a chopped onion in butter (possibly with garlic). Sometimes olive oil is also Butter, or a mixture of the two;
- Tostatura: Baking The rice in the Soffrito (the rice becomes a bit glassy);
- adding moisture (white wine, broth, water), this must be done gradually so that the rice can absorb the moisture slowly;
- In This step other ingredients are added, depending on the recipe;
- The last step (Mantecatura) is a short resting break of about one minute, after which grainy cheese is added.
Risotto making [YouTube] IlFMtWM-ElA [/youtube]